About Me

My photo
After living in Portugal for 15 years and teaching English in various capacities there, including at the University of Aveiro, I moved back to the United States in 2019. Returning for our church was the best decision we have ever made and God has been so good to us. Reading the Bible everyday and trying to keep the commandments of Jesus are my priorities, along with loving my family and all the people God has put into my life. Helping people is something I enjoy doing, and meeting the individual needs of students who want to learn English is important to me.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Cry of Hope

-An initial cry echoed in a town that was filled with rubble and debris…..
Translated by: Masaharu Yamauchi, from Focus magazine, Japan                      
山内 雅晴
Edited by: Rebecca Silva

Words sometimes show their cruel fangs.
“Hang in there.” “I support you.” Encouragement given to the sufferers.
But, they had already hung in there. How could they hang in there anymore?
There is nothing like a hope that is formed from ‘warmth’, not empty words.
“She was born on an unforgettable Spring day. People treated us very kindly, and that’s why we had to express much thanks to them. My husband and I talked about that. We named her ‘Sumire’ (it is composed of three Chinese characters that represent congratulations, beauty, and thankful.) to convey our feelings for her.”
“In an evacuation center, I was blessed with a lot of kindness. Some people brought portable heat packs and put a stove on for me even though it was forbidden because of the oil shortage.”
Parents’ smiles and Sumire’s sleeping face are a shining ray of recovery.
Existence beyond helpless words.
A tiny life brings big hope to the devastated area. 




No comments:

Post a Comment