About Me

My photo
After living in Portugal for 15 years and teaching English in various capacities there, including at the University of Aveiro, I moved back to the United States in 2019. Returning for our church was the best decision we have ever made and God has been so good to us. Reading the Bible everyday and trying to keep the commandments of Jesus are my priorities, along with loving my family and all the people God has put into my life. Helping people is something I enjoy doing, and meeting the individual needs of students who want to learn English is important to me.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Immersion Solution

If you aren’t living in an English speaking country, how can you “immerse” yourself so that you can learn colloquial English, and become familiar with the culture?



Personal experience, along with talking to other people led me to a simple, but effective conclusion- television.  Moving to Portugal years ago put me in a situation where I had to learn the language quickly.  I didn’t have time to travel to take classes, and found that people would become impatient with me while I consulted my little dictionary during a conversation.  So I started watching “novelas” (soap operas).  Normally I prefer to read, but I knew I had to develop an ear for the language.  In the beginning it was difficult.  I would start watching a soap opera, and not understand anything that was being said.  But I would try to focus on positive things, and continued to “force” myself to enjoy it.  Everyday for an hour I would watch the same program.  I became familiar with the characters, and started to understand more and more as the context of the story helped to prompt my anticipation of what would happen next.   Cultural norms were introduced to me, and my pronunciation became better.
There are many television programs to choose from, and I often encourage students to choose a program that is related to what they are working towards or something they enjoy.  One of my students who passed the Step 2 CS would regularly watch “House” helping her to become familiar with an American hospital setting, as well as everyday spoken English. 
Explaining specific vocabulary and idioms, as well as asking questions relevant to clips of television programs, the exercises I have developed help students with listening/speaking skills and help increase vocabulary as well.   


No comments:

Post a Comment